View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

Jewelstar....it seems that he is flying pretty high, now. Those who fly so high can come down really hard. The relationships that start in early recovery...and, with others in recovery groups almost always implode. "Two sickies don't make one wellie".
Likely, they are both "high" on the hormones of early attraction. Hormones are as powerful as any drug that has been discovered. There are several of them that are released at one time--Dopamine/Oxytocin/Seratonin are the main ones. The brain is flooded and bonding occurs and BAM--the rose colored glasses come on. The whole world looks great....for a while......
What this does, for the early recovering alcoholic, is to act as the new drug to help them feel better and cope with emotions,,,,which their alcohol used to do.
It also, serves as a big distraction from the hard work and difficult emotions that one faces in early recovery.....

Maudcat brings up an important point, I think---that many alcoholics will show up on the doorstep, again....quite hangdog, and offering statements of sorrow
and loving sentiments....often the very things that the rejected one has been longing to hear. In these situations, the one who has been kicked to the curb, may actually lap this up like a kitten with a saucer of milk.
Please beware...just know that this could happen....so, it is good to know all this and be prepared....
I think that the best preparation is to continue to learn and work on yourself like your life depends on it......
As you pass through this necessary grieving stage...and,work on yourself, you will begin to feel better and become stronger....

I think that socializing is good...but, also, be aware of the very dangerous rebound or transitional relationship, yourself...as those can be very dangerous, for you , also.....
Those hormones of early attraction are respecters of no person....lol.....