View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wamama48

I do NOT accept alsoholism as a disease.

This is an angry post. For those of you who are just beginning and think it might stumble you, please don't read any further.

It is a choice. An actual disease is NOT a choice you make. Like type 1 diabetes or cancer. Yes, it changes the alcoholics their brain function to an extent. I have Bipolar disorder. I can choose to be unmedicated and make a living hell for my family. If I don't take my medications it can change my brain function and then I am doing all kinds of things that can have dire consequences. But I CHOOSE to do something about it, I don't want to see my family suffer because of my selfish choice. I don't say this to say I am better than anyone, just that a choice can be made for the good of yourself and the ones you love. My mom was an alcoholic, which killed her in the end by causing liver cancer, my husband is an alcoholic, both of my sisters are alcoholics and my brother-in-law is an alcoholic. I know it makes me a bad person, but I believe it is a choice, and saying it is a disease, in my opinion, makes it an excuse.