Old 01-24-2018, 03:14 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by AlericB View Post
You don’t have to believe in whatever method you choose but you do have to suspend your disbelief and just practice it without waiting for any sense of prior certainty. Where would certainty in the method come from if not from your own experience of it?
In my “own experience”, I have intentionally killed thousands of living beings over the years, almost all insects with a smattering of rodents tossed in. In all those killings, I never once imagined the creatures would get up and keep going about their business again. I had 100% certainty. My “own experience” of that certainty became fixed when I was a child.

For many years, I lived with another living creature, the “drunken me” and was intimate with its nature. I had a deep requirement of faith and hope for good fortune that nothing bad would happen each time I reveled in that wonderful deep pleasure all over again.

I knew I was totally responsible for the “drunken me”, and when things finally got bad enough, I turned on it and I killed it. I killed it with the plan “I will never drink again.” – 100% certainty. Like a rat I once trapped and drowned, I recognized some sorrow in me at the loss of an individual creature’s life. After killing the “drunken me”, that sense of grief diminished more gradually than for the rat, but even now, I recall the rat was just doing its thing.

Today, as I write this and try to shift into recalling that grief I had for the “drunken me”, I just can’t find it anywhere inside anymore. I can manufacture more sadness for having killed that rat, than I can for having killed the “drunken me”