Old 01-22-2018, 08:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

Baclofen didn't really do that much for me, but I was taking it illegally. Not to get high, but to work on my anxiety and I was familiar with Amisen's work. It made me physically uncomfortable.

Never tried Naltraxone, although my psychiatrist suggested it. My IOP doc and I thought it best to see if my cravings would continue to decrease. They drastically did, so I didn't start it. Good to know it's there. The Sinclair method is very controversial, on this site and elsewhere. It's mostly a path to "moderate" drinking. I'm not into that. I don't care for the feeling of an alcohol buzz at all anymore.

Topiramate /topamax is an anticonvulsant that's also used as an antimanic. I've not taken it, but another anticonvulsant, lamitrogine/lamictal works extremely well for my bipolar depression and as a mood stabilizer. I take it with Wellbutrin which definitely also moderates cravings, both alcohol and nicotine. I'd say that the combo definitely has an effect on reducing the desire to drink for me.

Never had to take antabuse. Again my cravings were being well managed by other drugs and cognitive tools, and this was the first time I really tried to get sober, so it was unnecessary.

I was prescribed Abilify last month, as I was starting to experience hypomania. We also decreased the wellbutrin. I loathed the Abilify. Three pills in and I was already eating like a horse, felt distinctly weird and twitchy. I have a nearly full prescription if I need it, but I don't think antipsychotics/neuroleptics are for me. Plus between the reduced Wellbutrin and the mood stabilizing effect of the lamictal the hypo mania went away.