View Single Post
Old 01-22-2018, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sasha1972

My ex stored his beer and liquor bottles in our garage. Every few months I would load up my car and take them to the recycling depot. It's a measure of my own state of mind that it did not occur to me that it's not a good sign when you can make $300 every couple of months by returning alcohol bottles with 5 cent deposits, all consumed by one person.

One day I had the garage door open and a couple of local homeless people were passing by the back alley. They asked if I had any recycling they could take and I said "sure, help yourself to some of this". One of the homeless guys looked at the Great Wall o'Bottles and said "HOLY !$@!&! That's a whole lot of booze! You must have been saving that up for years". I said uh, yeah, years and years. Decades, maybe.

In hindsight, I should have known that when my ex's monthly alcohol consumption was shocking to someone who lives on the street and by the looks of him knows a whole lot about substance abuse, things are not going well. (And when I feel I have to protect my husband from the judgment of that person, things are also not going well).