View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Offthemast

Originally Posted by GirlScreaming View Post
How did you start? Was there something that helped the most the first week? I feel like if I just get week 1 out of the way, I can do this.
Had a few false starts. Really think I wanted to stop but would always say whats the big deal when I started feeling better.

Well it is a big deal. A huge deal. I'll never be the guy I imagine drinking steadily every day. The negative consequences just got to be too much. I hurt inside, I hurt outside, I was mentally and physically drained not to mention spiritually in the red.

I read here religiously, learned how to deal with cravings, played the tape forward, recognized my AV(alcoholic voice), and read stories of recovery and triumph and how life was so much more fulfilling for those who had achieved long term sobriety. And I wanted it! Still do.

Almost slipped about 12 days in when the family pet died but didn't and evrytime I don't give in to temptation I grow stronger!

3 weeks aint nothing but it is! It's doable and I see glimpses of hope and joy. and a life well lived. Sometimes you'll just have to soldier through and resist with all you've got, but it passes and with every battle won you are closer to winning the war.

Good luck. Prayers for you and kick it in the teeth like you know you can.