View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 11:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Cool

Originally Posted by 888 pancakes View Post
Thanks for this. Really hits home.

Ironically she just made contact for the first time in a couple of weeks. Sent an email saying she "I really miss you."

I really miss her too but writing that feels hella dangerous. That said, I feel like I have to respond with something...
I suspect that any response would be seen as an Open invitation for more contact. It feels dangerous because it is. Especially as she's still entrenched in alcoholic craziness and even if she's sober when she receives your message, she won't be later that day.

And yes, it is so, so sad that people continue to go back out when it can kill them. I knew a lady from AA. She was in and out, always had some excuse or another for having to take another drink, even though she came to meetings on and off for 3 or 4 years. She wanted to get rid of the consequences but the thought of not drinking was unbearable. She was mid to late 40s I reckon. Died last week with a collapse of major organs in hospital. She'd been in and out of hospital over the years. She knew what it was doing to her. Alcoholism is a cunning and baffling disease.

So cunning and baffling sometimes that it even gets people who are newly sober themselves sidelined into thinking about other people's drinking more than their own recovery. When actually the best way to get better is focus on our own side of the street. In my first month i know that i was far more obsessed with other peoples drinking than I was with my own recovery. Didn't get me very far though. They still drank. I still hasn't learned any new tools for recovery. Thankfully I eventually realised my job was to work on me. And if those people wanted help later on, perhaps I'd be in a position to help them then.

I'd suggest not responding. But it might be too late for that now.

BB