View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 12:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
notrealname333

Originally Posted by 888 pancakes View Post
PS: Sorry I have no idea how to edit my original post but just wanted to add that I'm sorry for the gory details in this post. I haven't shared this level of goriness with anyone and I feel like I really need to share it.

I know it's not pretty stuff that I've shared.

I should also add that while this person sounds like an absolute nightmare, she was. But then she was also funny and smart and I loved the heck out of her. And I miss her. Those latter parts I continue to struggle with.

Thanks again,
P
I hope this isn't too off topic from the original post --

Speaking personally, as someone who comes from dysfunction, for most of my life I always magically "clicked" with people who were dysfunctional. And strangely enough that happened with all of my friends too. I think there's a built in desire to be with someone who has a similar idea of "normal" and can relate. Even if "normal" means alcoholism.

My dad went through a similar thing with my mom (who abandoned us because the booze was more important) and his message to me has been that it took him years to realize he was worthy of being with someone who didn't treat him like garbage and wasn't a trainwreck. That built-in desire was so strong and "normal".

I have been trying to unpack that myself, having been in a series of clearly toxic relationships that i justified with "but hey, when things were good they were great!"