View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 07:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ken0331

Originally Posted by Anarock View Post
Not long, I go to a follow up Monday! Even if I can just get in for a couple of sessions that would be helpful. I just want to learn more about why I drink so I can avoid that.
Great! Good for you for taking a courageous step. Many won't and live a miserable life, then die a miserable death from alcohol.

I thought that knowing why I drank would solve my drinking problem, too.

It didn't.

I drink b/c I am an alcoholic. Simple as that. Once I crossed that invisible line from normal drinking to alcoholic drinking, I could never go back, never roll back the clock as it were. The only answer was I could never safely drink again. I got to work finding the help I needed, b/c I couldn't stop drinking by myself, just under my own willpower. At least not for any real length of time, anyway.

I found alcohol wasn't my problem, it was my solution. Take away my solution, and I'm miserable. And I didn't get sober to be miserable.

Hopefully your counselor will recommend some support groups and programs for you to try, b/c until I began to replace my unhealthy solution with healthier ones I had no chance of being happy or sober.