View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 07:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LBrain

It's complicated. Most doctors, most gp's, are not trained in addiction. They have a lot of other things to stay up on. And it is also a battle among the medical field - think insurance companies. Insurance companies run the medical field in the USA. Drug companies make a lot of money from the hole shebang. The government spends a lot $$$$ on 'policy' and programs to keep the rehab industry afloat - your tax dollars at work, just as the "war on drugs" was little more than a campaign slogan. For over ten years there have been proponents of certain drugs to eradicate "alcoholism". My wife tried to 'sign me up' for one back in 2010 - I guess she knew huh. But until there is a shift in thinking, alcohol rules America, and much of the world. Don't forget, the Anheuser-Busch company and other big conglomerates, including the wine and distilled spirits industry pour a lot of money into advertising, and spend a LOT on lobbying congress. So it is not a simple matter of what is 'good' for the people. Big money rules most all of the decisions made that most of us have no clue about or say in. So yes, there are pioneers in the medical field with good intentions and good ideas on how to battle the alcohol epidemic. But they are walking the wrong way around the big wheel. Until Big Pharma figures out a way to cash in hugely on this, it will be a footnote in medical journals. And until the alcohol industry starts getting slapped around by "lawyers-r-us", they will continue to cash in on the promotion and sale of alcohol - new products are coming out monthly to sell to the drinking masses. It's astounding the "new releases" I have seen just in the past month. Alcoholics are the "red-headed step child" of society. And that remains a problem as well.