Old 01-15-2018, 05:48 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
AlericB

I think my main concern is what can you say to someone who wants to quit but feels that they can't: who is in the state of ambivalence that is the actual definition of addiction in the AVRT paradigm.

They want to stop because of all the negative consequences their drinking is having in their life, but at the same time they don't want to for ever give up all the pleasure. They are looking at their dilemma in the two ways described by dwtd above.

It seems entirely natural and reasonable for someone in this state to think "Well I can't do anything about it. I can't decide to quit for good because I know I don't really mean it and so I won't succeed." AVRT offers a way to cut through this Gordian knot by advocating that you consider all your doubts and reservations about making your decision to quit as AV, as not 'you'. The AV then drops away from your decision like mist from a hill and you will see that your decision is, after all, clear cut and pristine.

I think a common idea, and again IMO quite a natural one to hold, is that for a decision to be 'truly' made it must be almost mystical in nature and unfathomable in depth. But that is just more AV