Old 01-14-2018, 10:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I'm a teacher and had concerns about going along. But then I suppose the nurses, and surgeons and mum's and dad's and therapists and lawyers etc had the same worry at first. I didn't need to worry. Everyone is there for the same reason in a closed meeting. Ie. Everyone wanted to stop drinking.

In an Open meeting people can go if they're alcoholic OR have a general interest in alcoholism and recovery. So some professionals go there in their work capacity to get information , and friends or family members of alcoholic to learn more about what is affecting their loved one. You will never be forced to speak at any meeting. You don't have to sign a register, fill in forms , give your full name etc. You just go in, grab a coffee and take a seat.

You don't have to go to meetings in your home town. I go to the one in my small city (population less than your town) and in the neighbouring towns and city. If I'm on holiday I go along to meetings there. You don't have to go to the meeting where you live at all. Why not just drive out of town at first if you're worried. I imagine that once you're trust has built up you'll be happy to go to your local one.

BB