Thread: question
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
2muchpain

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
John, I hear you, and it does sound like it can be draining and time consuming. I know of someone who is worse off, ie: can never get to work on time, but I think any level of OCD is tiring. You're right that the CBT and medication are probably helping you. Do you find that, if you try to resist, things get worse or better?
It really depends on the compulsion. There are times when I can work on getting over a compulsion and it goes away. When I shower and needed to hit the nob to check the drain four times to make sure the water is draining although it's obvious its draining . I have been able to get past that. Things that are most important like making sure the coffee maker is unplugged several times or my ashtray is in the sink to avoid a fire is tough. Some compulsions come and go, but the one's that stay have something to do with safety.
Other's are just stupid little things that I could probably ignore such as opening and closing my window shades twice.
Now, if I don't check my car when I leave to make sure the lights are off, the music is turned off, or the doors are locked, then I have to go back and check these things. Otherwise, it will drive me crazy. As far as getting to work on time, I have to get up early to allow time to go through my rituals before leaving for work. It usually takes me 10 minutes to check, re check and check again and again everything before I leave for work. I could probably go to to work without going through all this and forget all this stuff, but the anxiety at the time is so strong, I don't feel I have a choice. What's really wierd is that if I feel down and depressed, I don't care about all this stuff. Being depressed actually helps with the OCD. Go figure. John