Old 01-11-2018, 05:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Gilmer

Dragon, it is really, really cool when you encounter someone else who shares your passion—who “gets it!”

I used to do needlework when I was younger. and a couple of years ago I decided to try a really intricate piece again (5 different shades of blue).

I worked in fits and spurts, 3 steps forward and two steps back, for all this time. On Sunday it was finally done. A few imperfections, but overall a job well done.

I washed it and ironed it, then carried it gingerly to the framing store.

The proprietor took one look at it and said, “Wow, look at the intricate work in this! This is a work of art!”

I asked to look at several frames, including a brown wooden one like the one on the original magazine cover. He showed them to me, and also a couple of black.

Then he said he’d like to show me some blue frames. He said that with a complementary blue frame the eye would go right to the piece in the center, whereas with a brown or black frame they eye would get stuck on the contrast between the frame and the piece.

The lightbulb clicked on for me, and I could see exactly what he was talking about!

I could tell he really knew and loved his craft, just as I had really loved my piece.

It was a really great feeling to be “known” and appreciated.

I’m sure with your daughter that feeling will grow and grow, Andy.