View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 05:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LateBloominCait

He may tell you that his family is the loving supportive one and that you are not but he is lying. The reality is that his family is enabling him to continue to drink. They don't set proper boundaries with him and he is able to do as he pleases which seems to be to continue to drink and drink.

You, on the other hand, have set very reasonable boundaries with him. You have wisely stuck to them. The alcoholism drives him to seek out people who don't get in the way of him and the bottle. In reality, you are being more supportive and are maintaining your boundaries because you love yourself as well as him and you need to protect yourself first. That is the right thing to do. You don't have "control issues" you have healthy boundaries.

I'm sorry you're going through this right now. He probably does love you very much, but his addiction is demanding alcohol be the priority over anyone or anything. It seems like you have done your homework and you know this intellectually, but I know it can still hurt terribly.

You might consider checking out an al-anon meeting if you haven't been to one before. I'm sure you could use support right now because while you've been taking care of your husband, who has been taking care of you? If nothing else, it will be a conversation with people who truly know what you're going through from experience. Hugs to you.