Thread: New AVRT'er
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 03:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
MesaMan

Today represents my 4th Year Sober, and these Posts wondering about 'next Sober steps' are perfect for me to reference to frame some vaporous thoughts I had this Morning.

1. Trust your Mind. Ignore any/all 'advice' to not do just that. Our Minds generally clear up 'some' after a few Weeks, and we can start to formulate an Action Plan thereafter. In my case, I was lucky a few Months in to stumble across SR from my Search, and the Secular Minds here. Absolutely invaluable!

2. A whole lot of 'Conventional Wisdom' I ran across was of no use to me. So, I set it aside. As in, I'm bound to Relapse. Fear-based 'existence' doesn't cut it with me. That 'thinking' keeps a Person on edge and - IMO - results in the malaise seen in plenty of Posts. This is just one of many bits of 'Wisdom' one is flooded with. Once 'inevitable' Relapse is tossed onto the Scrap Heap - thanks to making and keeping The Big Plan - all kinds of Psychic Energy is freed up to enjoy Sobriety, IMO.

A Mod here has noted that things really solidified after about 3 Months in. I concur. It was not all Unicorns boofing Rainbows at that point, but I had re-grounded myself to my emerging Sober Reality about then, too. Yah, plenty of diligent work to completely re-tool myself had to be developed and executed, but that challenge took on manageable form thereafter. Why? Because more Drinking was irreversibly off the Table. Free at last... free at last.

3. Because I weigh in on the Introvert side of Life, I enjoy digging into one or two things, and really enjoying the moment as I do something. Read below about how we Introverts are Genetically wired. F2F groups generally don't help me. Such settings can stress me out, actually. Gradually digested Wisdom, as I've gotten from Secular Soberists here, does. Read. Reflect. Integrate. I learned to read here, and discern what sort of Sobriety I wanted to develop; based on the apparent maturity of Sober Members. And, what they did to get to where they are [or, to where they aren't].

I like blazing hot Food. So, imagine that I take someone to a Thai Restaurant and declare what 'too hot' Food really is? Well, my take on that - as though my POV is somehow universal - is somewhere between silly and arrogant if such Food is burning up the Palate of my Dining Partner. Treat your Recovery the same way: decide for you what's best for you. Fearlessly.

~ Why Introverts And Extroverts Are Different ~

I could likely come up with more, but there's already plenty of substantive Gem-quality insights in the Posts above!

After Sunrise here this Morning. I find that Inner Peace is created from within.