Thread: I'm ok
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 09:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
tekink

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
I'm not in any position to say one way or another CM. One thing I can tell you is that I went on a family holiday (just to the west coast of Scotland) for ten days because I felt like I couldn't cancel.

I'd been sober two weeks. Anna (very wisely) warned me but I was adament I wanted to go I was actually a bit miffed at the implication that I might not be able to manage, that it was ok to let my family down by cancelling, that I was not prioritising my recovery (sorry Anna!). I was determined and said so in my responses.

I stayed sober for the holiday but relapsed the day I got home. I had been holding on so strongly when away that I didn't understand that my vulnerable point was when I had 'made it' and could relax a bit.

I did the same after Christmas. Made it through a week with family then relapsed the day they left. It's a tough lesson learned. Sometimes we take our eye of the ball and fall.

If you are going I hope you have an amazing, sober holiday. Just remember to watch yourself when you get home. It may be that this is the time you are most vulnerable but don't realise it until it's too late. Gabe x
All that stress of fighting the urges and dealing with the fear of missing out, or simply reflecting on what would have been in the "good old days" tends to wear me out to the point where relapse becomes more likely.

I'd not go, being in those situations at first made me want nothing more than to jump out of my own skin. My thoughts go circular the entire time just trying to keep myself somewhat calm. I took a weekend with my wife at 7 months sober, we stayed in a cabin that had no celular service and were cut off from the world. It was a little hard even being away from drinking.