Thread: Hello!
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
WinterThunder

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
It's so good to read your story, WinterThunder - congratulations on your upcoming year sober. I'm so glad you were able to reclaim your life.
Let me clarify the AA comment. I didn't do a good job there. I don't necessarily have an issue with AA itself as a recovery program.

I went to multiple meetings for a week and a half to two weeks (this was daily).

Three different groups, two different locations within 5 miles/2 suburbs (I needed to branch out because of meeting schedules).

Anyway, all three groups were just not good experiences. The people were very welcoming, but the actual meetings were just going around the room and discussing the challenges of the past days, weeks, etc. I was told to read the book, work the program, keep coming back, 90 in 90, etc., etc. but nobody explained to me how to work the program.

The other issue I had was the meetings, at least to me, were just very emotionally draining and incredibly sad.

I suppose I could always be more proactive with the program and perhaps find a different group; however, I've done well for myself the past year so I don't see the need for AA (or another program) at this time. I will keep an open mind, of course.