Thread: Hello!
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 09:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
WinterThunder

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
You quit all that by yourself? No program? By just not putting alcohol in your mouth???

I am so, so impressed. You're obviously incredibly strong. And yes, guilt and regret are hard. What I try to do is remind myself I had a REAL medical problem (for some reason, "disease" does not click with me) and that I need to cut myself some slack as a result. I've already been punished by having the medical problem, it doesn't seem fair for me now to be also punished with guilt and regret because of the medical problem. I mean, then when does the cycle end??!! Should I drink more bc of the guilt and regret, then feel more guilt and regret, etc. Just like you just stopped putting alcohol in your mouth (I love how simply you put that), just stop beating yourself up. You don't deserve it. You DO deserve real praise for what you accomplished. Really. You're an inspiration.
Thank you for the kind words. Yes, I just didn't put alcohol in my mouth.

I was and am quite aware that if I drink, if alcohol goes into my mouth, I stand to lose to my family, career and then my life. Those things are absolutely going to happen if I drink and I am very lucky I stopped before they did happen.

I made previous attempts to quit, but it was only when I realized, truly realized, that I could not drink again that I was ready.

And God do I wish made that decision sooner.