View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 06:21 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
tomsteve

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Wish you lived where I live. Actually having a regular conversation with someone from AA would of done me a lot more good than hearing their rehearsed stuff. I know they mean well but just having a regular conversation can do more to help someone get sober than all the jargon that AA is good at. Talk to me about sports, the daily news, or just stuff would help me to stay sober more than sayings or readings from the BB. Sometimes, people just want to connect with someone else. John
welp, in the rooms we talk about recovery. the preamble kind of explains that.
with newcomers we talk a lot about recovery. with sponsees the talk can center around recovery. thats how it works.
personally its all i wanted to talk about when i was new to recovery. i wanted to learn how to live life on lifes terms, which part of that was accepting AA meetings arent a chit chat session about whatever. as i worked the steps, conversation at the meeting before the meeting , the meeting after the meeting, during rides with others in recovery to other meetings, and even when id just be talkin with my sponsor and others,conversation was about more than just recovery- many topics would get discussed.
that took T.I.M.E.=
Things I Must Earn.

maybe im different, but talk about sports,news, or just stuff never helped me learn how to live life on lifes terms- it never kept me sober.

P.S.
i dont rehearse ANYTHING at meetings( just like here- NOTHING is rehearsed) because i never know what the topic will be or what i may hear(or read).
but i think i get what youre sayin-some people say the same things at every meeting.