View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
August252015

A key word I didn't use in my first post and don't think I have seen, that connects directly to slip and relapse equaling death (or the other dire consequences) is YET.

This is an important word because:
Some use it as an acronym for "You're Entitled too" - as in, if it can happen to someone else it can happen to you - this is often discussed in situations like, "I'm not that bad....[YET**"

And because it can also mean that you've got a chance - now - and haven't YET met what many of us consider the possible ends for an alcoholic: death, jail, or (in more modern wording than "institution," say), serious/permanent hospitalization. Death can be by any means, from the person I know who shot himself, to the one who died by cirrhosis (make that, the many I know), who killed (just) himself in a car crash, died of a stroke or heart attack that could in truth be connected to drinking....or along with others in any manner of scenarios.

YET is, IME, very important. Whatever we call things, it's our THINKING that is the problem, that causes us to drink, that keeps us drinking - that makes us take that "one more chance" option.

And that's the real issue. IMO we don't get unlimited chances to get this thing- sobriety- right. I like this last chance I am taking too much to risk it for anything.