View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 11:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Munuel

Try, try, trying again

Hi guys!

First time registered here, although I've read a lot before.

I've had a problematic relationship with alcohol since I was in my mid teens. I've quit three times, most recently for over a year back in 2010, but I've never really been methodical (or perhaps honest) about learning my triggers and always just winged it on willpower. Then I've fallen into the moderation trap and - off we go again.

This time there are some clear signs that my health is suffering - not least having been encouraged by the doc to moderate intake last year - and I'm looking at another run at getting permanently sober. Nobody in my immediate circle of family and friends has an unambiguously bad relationship with booze, or much understanding of addiction, and most have at one time or another been unwitting "Oh, but can't you just have one or two?" kind of unsupporters. My wife's more appreciative of the problem now and tried to get me to quit at the start of '17, but I simply wasn't ready and it didn't go well.

The idea of AA etc. just doesn't sound like it's for me, so I'm going the self-help/online support group route. Here we go!