View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 10:13 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Stayingsassy

Originally Posted by Eaglelizard View Post
The undead thread... I somehow feel compelled to comment on any thread that centers around vodka. In one of his books, Bret Easton Ellis talks about how he once had to drink his vodka frozen or in chilled form, but how, over time, this became too much work, probably because of the inconvenience of chilling down a handle that you just bought at the liquor store (why isn't vodka kept in the freezer section?). Hence, he started to just drink it warm and, over time, came to prefer it that way because he could actually taste the alcohol even more intensely that way. Well, at the end, I was still chilling mine, but was going through so much volume that it became hard to stay stocked up at home. Just some obsessive vodka thoughts...
my husband stopped buying white liquor because I'd mix gin or vodka into diet soda all day on every workday I had off, until it was just gone, white liquor never lasted more than a day and a half in my house. So he'd buy whisky or bourbon, but when my beers or hard seltzers ran out after 12 units or so in a few hours, I'd start in on anything, so i developed a taste for whisky...then he started buying the really expensive stuff, and I'd clean that out too, even his $40 bottles of wine were never safe around me.

I was weird in that I never believed I'd drink more than 12 trulys or beers and I never bought anything stronger. I didn't believe I'd keep drinking. I always did, though. The house was stocked. And I'd keep drinking for days. And they would stretch out into horrible half lived, half remembered eerie snippets of episodes lasting days and nights, all remembered moments of just utter despair, and the blackest existence of all when I would come to...when I would begin to sober up. A dark, death like existence.

When I quit I picked up every bottle and every bar glass and the wine rack and the bar tools and buried them in the back of the cabinets in the garage and frantically told my husband to never put alcohol in front of my face again, it was killing me, destroying me, and I would leave him in a heartbeat if alcohol in the home got in the way of my lasting sobriety, I saw a glimmer of a new life and no way was I letting it slip through my fingers.