View Single Post
Old 12-30-2017, 08:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
LBrain

There is a secular 12 step forum just below this one. But I think that any 12 step "program" utilizes a higher power of some sort. It is explained away so that you can choose however you wish to represent a concept or idea that is foreign to some of us. My fall out about this came about when I declared myself as my higher power - it's actually true. With that in mind, choosing not drink and to never drink again is a conscious decision. Many have done this over the years with no outside help or any program, they just decided enough was enough. I do not believe in the 'disease concept' either. I do know that addiction is very powerful. Some can make the choice to stop and stick with that choice, others need a regimen to help them get through it. AVRT is a "program" of sorts, but it can also be used as a concept. I have basically chosen the AVRT concept. I didn't buy or read any of the books. I did the "crash course" that is available somewhere on line. The beauty of the AVRT route is that drinking no longer becomes an option. With that in mind it takes away the "postponement" idea of possibly drinking in the future. You do not worry about one day at a time or if you'll "make it". Once you commit you've already made it. I have no insight on any of the other secular or non-step programs of "recovery". But I do know that "recovery" is a buzzword that is thrown about in order for some entities to make money.
All that aside, WELCOME to the forum and welcome to a new way of living. I just went over 4 years sober this week. The circumstances that 'inspired' me to quit do not matter. To be sure, I was a hard core drinker. But I just decided that I was going to quit. It wasn't easy at first because of my drinking history - 40 years worth. But I made the decision to quit and never turned back. You can do it too.