Old 12-27-2017, 08:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
scaredikklegoth

What's your worst trigger? TW on content obviously

I hope this is ok to discuss and that it doesn't trigger anyone to drink. I'd feel terrible if that happened so feel free to head off now if you think this discussion may be too much for you atm because I want everyone to be safe and ok xx

I find that my worst trigger for drinking is boredom. Above everything else, that's the time when my AV really needles at me and tells me how grey life is and how dull and how it will always be this way and that everything I'm surrounded by is beige. It's definitely a facet of my depression too as boredom makes me feel sad and filled with nihilistic tendencies. It's been the biggest struggle so far (except grief which is obviously a huge trigger for most but, hopefully, a lot more rare than boredom). And it's unavoidable because we all get bored of the daily grind, it's a part of life, and you can't let it make you run for the bottle as though that's going to somehow morph the landscape it something more palatable because of course booze doesn't do that. It doesn't help at all. But, when I'm bored, it starts to feel like it would and that seems to be a dangerous time for me.

What's your worst trigger and how did you deal with it? Perhaps we can help each other.