View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Clmjr

Confused after getting sober

Hi everyone. I've been reading this forum over the past few years at different points of not drinking. Over this past summer my drinking was so bad that I went to a 30 day rehab. One of my biggest fears of not drinking is that I wouldn't be happy with the life I've created for my family. I've been very successful. I started my own business, got married, raised two step kids and had 2 of my own. Now that I'm sober 5 months my fear is reality.
After being a heavy functional daily drinker for years I began to feel discontent. This led to even more drinking and I thought I wanted to leave my marriage. Then I had an affair and during that time things actually improved with my wife. The drinking slowed and i tried to work on our relationship. Then once the affair ended, the drinking increased again until finally I was drinking all day every day and barely running my business.
I went to rehab for myself (as well as my family) and learned a lot and met some good people. Fast forward to now and I'm thinking that the past year has been a distraction to coming to terms with the fact I want to start a different life but am unsure of how to do so. Thoughts?