Old 12-26-2017, 01:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I'm so glad you're not feeling like you're missing out.

I generally have felt the same for a while now. One strange one crept up on me (just to prove that my AV is still alive and wriggling) in May this year though at 3 years and 3 months sober. In Margate in the UK there used to be a funfair from the 1920s onwards, which closed down about 15 years ago. Well, it all got revamped in a nostalgic way and they had their big reopening in May, with live bands and all sorts of stuff happening. I'm not sure what was going on in my head because it's quite a drive from where I live to Margate, and as a teacher I can't take a Friday off for a funfair opening night. But i was determined to go. Determined to talk my partner into the insanity as well, or find some other sucker who'd go with me. It doesnt sound much, but honesty, i was losing my **** about going to this thing, being completely unreasonable. Turning into a proper brat about it. Huffing, sulking, slamming doors, crying in the bathroom that it was so unfair. Lol. Then standing under the shower (easier to ignore your own tears in the shower) I realised what it as really about. Funfairs had never meant innocent fun to me. Not since I was in my very early teens. They'd been places for illicit behaviour. THAT was what was driving me to behave insanely. The subconscious reaction to a promise of alcohol, softdrugs and sex. Once I'd realised that I had an altered mindset, but it did take several hours of insanity for me to recognise where my FOMO (fear-of-missing-out) was really coming from. Lol. Honestly, I was like the wicked fairy when she didnt get invited to Sleeping Beauty's christening for a while there. Amazing how this stuff can sneak up on us.

BB