View Single Post
Old 12-25-2017, 01:53 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Berrybean

No, but what she does and says is beyond your control. All you can change is how you react to it. I know that when I'd been sober a while and worked on my recovery I was much more able to deal with things than when I was still,drinking, or when I was early days sober but hadn't done any recovery work.

Have you ever read the AA promises? I didn't believe it was possible that they could ever come true for me, but they did. It's been such a gift. And that's not because poop doesn't happen any more. It's just because my outlook has changed so it doesn't make things feel so hopeless,and I'm not walking round in a complete state of emotional bewilderment and fear, with a sack full of shame on one shoulder and another sack full of resentments on the other.

Sobriety is a good start, but it is recovery that makes that sobriety bearable, sustainable and eventually preferable to drinking. Honest.

BB

PS. The promises of AA....

...We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.
We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.
No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.
That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear.
We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away.
Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves
Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.