View Single Post
Old 12-23-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
tiredwoman

Originally Posted by tekink View Post
I own a wine bar/restaurant, it can be tough being at work. I no longer socialize with guests and try to leave asap if I don't need to be here.

I used to bartend but had to give that up when I gave up alcohol. Corporate serving jobs discourage employees hanging out after work. I've worked some single owner/local places where they didn't care if you got loaded on the job so long as performance didn't suffer.

If you're in the kind of place where folks are drinking on the shift/customers buying you shots etc it would be much harder I imagine.

I still feel really freaking odd in those rare situations were I end up having to make someone a martini.
You remind me of my uncle. He owns a tourist resort and like you, he doesn't really interact with the customers anymore. He's really gregarious and really charming - one of those people you feel like you have known your whole life. Before, when was drinking, he would really get to know the guests and they would get wasted together. Now he just oversees the general business and doesn't do what he used to do.