Thread: commentments
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
scarly

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
I'm scared to death about commitments. People here suggest getting a dog or volunteering, but that means scheduling my time around a dog or a place to volunteer. I know how self-centered this sounds but that's where I am at. I spend most days caring for others but maybe I'm giving to myself more than I know doing that. To spend the rest of my time giving to others, including a pet just seems too much. But spending my time giving to myself just doesn't work. I can spend time going to a movie or working out, but that just doesn't seem to work. I need structure but that structure involves giving to others. Rock and a hard place. Maybe giving to myself means giving to others.
Anywho, I'm drinking way too much and need to make some changes. Any advice would be much appreciated. John

Well, ...Id say that first of all...you need to stop drinking. Are you to the point that not drinking brings on severe withdrawal symptoms?

If so..you may want to consider stopping....and then going to the hospital and let them help you with the symptoms of withdrawal. They can ease the symptoms with Ativan....maybe keep you 3 to 4 days... and then once released... consider an in-patient treatment center. And this is just my opinion....but I couldnt get sober until I started thinking about other people and what my drinking is doing to them. And thinking about other people out in public. Doing things like simply holding the door open for someone. Simply saying "Merry Christmas to a stranger. It seems to me that you are looking at helping others as a time consuming chore instead of how it could help your confidence and self-esteem. Getting out of ourselves is really the only way to find sobriety....