Thread: commentments
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2017, 06:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Calicofish
Catch and Release

Getting involved in something doesn't mean you have to volunteer for a soup kitchen or homeless/dog shelter - or being of service to others.

I also think that people tend to go for the cliche things such as: exercise, eat healthy, walk, etc. - things that maybe they really never enjoyed doing in the first place and think they "have to" because it seems like it's an obligatory list. And then these things don't fulfill them and drinking seems like a good plan.

So how about trying something you might enjoy but also makes you accountable?

For me, that something was joining the local community theatre. I got involved and had to be available for rehearsals and know my part because then result was the production of the play. Rehearsals were 3 times a week. I met people. I had to be responsible and I made friends outside of the drinking world. It was a huge thing for me, but so much fun. I continue to this day and I also added other community organizations to join.

So, take a look at your community bulletin board and see what organizations are around. You can volunteer for things that are fun too :-)

CF