View Single Post
Old 12-20-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Gabe1980

Originally Posted by Strugglingtoget View Post
I think its great for us not to be overly critical of our progress and I agree that just 3 times drinking in 4 months is overall terrific.
However, I must say that for me there is much danger in that approach. Every single time I go down the rabbit hole, I tell myself I will drink just a few and just this time. And, for me, when I have "just a few" "just this one time" I in fact think its OK to do it again, perhaps the next day, perhaps a few days later. and then, especially if nothing truly awful happens, I do it again! And, there I am: back to blackouts, horrible hangovers, and all the terrible rest!
The problem for me is that alcohol is a highly addictive poison! Even just one drink retriggers for me the cravings, the desires, the compulsions and the insane thinking that "now I can drink safely..."
Nope, I cannot.
Good luck all on your journeys.
Yup, you are spot on. It isn't an approach I am using it's just a work in progress. It wouldn't take long or much for me to go back to constant drinking and hangovers. I'm just not beating myself up about it and carrying on trying to improve. It's better than it was but complete sobriety is the goal.