SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - View Single Post - Letting Go: The Journey for your Life
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2017, 05:07 AM   #61 (permalink)
Ann
Nature Girl

DSP, I am so glad that this thread poked you in the ribs today.

It's about 12 years since I first posted this and I must admit I have not attended this thread as often as I should to rethink what it means in my life today and to respond to those who have contributed to it, and for that I apologize.

I read it all through this morning and it is as meaninful today as it was 12 years ago, maybe more so because today I understand better what it all means.

Hanging on, for me, was an illusion. I felt safe hanging on...or perhaps just less fearful than letting go. In those days I could hardly discern the difference between faith and fear...both led me, one to better things and one back to the dark abyss. Thinking I could change anything in my life by hanging on to that which brought me to a bad place, was the illusion that I needed to see from a healthier perspective. Eventually, I did.

In the end, faith was the antidote to fear. As long as I hung on to faith, I could "let go" of the fear that had been my life for so many years.

Today I am more aware, I can stop in my tracks when my mind and emotions are in turmoil and ask myself "why" and "what needs to be done". Most times the answer is that I had become complacent and that I needed to take quiet time to focus on my own recovery, my faith, my actions.

I plan to revisit this thread more often. Today it was exactly what I needed to read. Who knew?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ann For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (12-20-2017), Rusty Zipper (12-20-2017)