Old 12-17-2017, 08:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
entropy1964

Ok I love this. I'm a knitter. But not a very good one. So unless I was doing something really simple, like garter stitch the whole time, I would make a heck of a lot of mistakes

Soooo, the only reason I'm even posting is because I have an experience with a knitter in recovery. We were in treatment together. She um how do I say this? She had trouble 'fitting in'. And I mean, so do I. But she really, really struggled. She had depression too (well, maybe we all did but hers was more severe). She would put on a happy face but I could see she was really out of her element. And she knitted. All. The. Time. And she could peacefully knit (I'm the only loud knitter I know because I have to rip out my work all the time.....I'm constantly yelling some kind of obscenity), sit in group and 'participate'. Well, that knitting was her security blanket. I'm quite sure it kept her from being uncomfortable. And discomfort would have been a good thing for her. It would have forced her to do something different, to find a different way of coping that didn't involve hiding behind knitting.

Ok Frick wtf are you trying to say? If I were pretty new to AA, new to recovery, new to sharing, new to being a part of, I would just try to be aware of anything that might be keeping me from connecting. I have absolutely no idea what your situation is. Does knitting disturb anyone in a meeting (besides Tom...hehe) no, probably not. Does doing busy work that seems sort of superfluous to the meeting kind of 'separate' one out? Maybe. Is the knitting a way of easing discomfort? Only you know. If it is, the knitting can wait for an hour. If you really have that much knitting that you must knit during AA? Go for it. Its your recovery, ya know.

I think I'm gonna go knit!!! No I'm gonna make cookies!