Thread: starting over
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2017, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
patch11

starting over

hello all,

I have been a member of this forum in the past but can't remember my user name, so I started a new account.

I have been trying to quit drinking for about 10 years now. I have had had periods of sobriety between a few months up to two years in that time. I have disposed of all the alcohol in the house. I want to quit cigarettes too. I don't want to be this sad person who sits alone in their house smoking and drinking and ruminating in a depressed fashion until the wee hours.

I don't have a job as I am in the process of selling my house and moving back home to take care of my unwell, elderly parents. I have had a lot of medical problems myself in the last few years and can't work at the moment even if I wanted to. So there is a lot of time to fill during the day right now.

I realised the other day that my relapse prevention strategy is basically "don't drink" which is about as effective as it sounds. So I need to work on this and also pay attention to what my triggers are. I am dreading Christmas as there will be booze on the table, but I think I will just say I am trying to diet and avoiding drinking calories and no one will think anything of it or probaby even notice. I need to have a strategy in place on the day.