View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
maia1234

Carren,
Welcome and glad you reached out. I also agree with the other posters. Hon, he is legal to drink and it is not illegal to kill himself drinking. It is not a "codies" responsibility to save our addicts, as you know from being a "30-year member" of alanon.

I tried to "save" my addict for 34 years. Sobriety never happened for "me". I nearly killed myself trying though, as I didn't give up easily. I am not sure what you are asking from us. It sounds like you know what is best for your boyfriend. Getting mad at his family for what they are doing is fruitless. You have been around one year. These people have lived with a lifelong addict and are really fed up with it, their attitude is "just keep" the "drunk" happy.

If he says "he wants more then what he has now," what part of that is your "job"? He can go and find that "more" if he chooses, as I am sure he knows that he has to stop drinking. Point him to the New to recover forum on SR and have him read the posts. Men and women every day are on that sight committed to sobriety, working a program, getting a sponsor, doing service work, doing 90 meetings in 90 days. I bet if you went to that forum and asked 1000 people if any of them ever got sober because of their spouse/loved one/ significant other wanted them too, they all will say No.

My advice would be to hit some alanon meetings or an addiction therapist. Reach out to your sponsor for support. Work on why you feel his sobriety is your job. We all get what you are trying to do as we have all walked in your shoes. But keep reading all the stories here of how all of us have tried to save our addicts, and it just doesn't work. Hugs to you and I am sorry.