View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Meredith289466

So 'this' happened......

I don't post much but I had something happen Friday night that was so unexpected and I am still a little confused about it. Actually, a lot confused and well, pretty hurt too. I quit drinking over 6 months ago. This has not been a secret really, my family knows, my co-workers know, my friends know. I didn't 'announce' it, it just came up when I made major changes in my behaviour. And honestly, no one made a big deal out of it, they all said 'Good for you!' and that was about that.

I was having a bit of a meltdown a few weeks ago because we just went on a 2 week vacation with another couple we have vacationed with for 8 years. Booze was a BIG part of previous vacations and I was really really scared and nervous about this one. Long story short. It was fine.

So, my experience up to Friday was that my sobriety was mostly just 'yay for you, I am proud of you, way to go etc' and nothing more. On Friday I attended a Christmas party and there was a person there that was awful, just plain awful about it all. This person would just not stop bullying me about booze and drinking. Literally. After an hour of this, non-stop, I left the party. I was SO upset when I left. I have known this person for over 14 years AND considered them a friend.

I don't understand? Why did they care so much what I was or wasn't drinking. Why wasn't 'No' a good enough answer for them. Shouldn't saying that I was the designated driver been more than enough? What the heck was going on????

I am still a little upset about it. But wow. Just wow. Anyone else had this happen? How did you deal? I was taken so off guard.