Old 11-30-2017, 11:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I din't have a worst month, other than to say the first must have been the worst because every month after that was better than the one before. I had painful moments, growing pains you might say, where I learned important lessons about life, but, much to my surprise, there was never a time where drinking looked like an attractive option.

You said you were working your program, but doing less meetings. I didn't have the brains to figure out a program for myself, so I just adopted the AA steps. They seemed to have a record opf success that I couldnt manage trying on my own.

The meetings were important, I was trying to do 90 in 90 and the fellowship offered great encouragement, but I think it was a different kind of encouragement than one might understand today. The encouragement was all about working the steps and having a spiritual awakening, and that was where my recovery came from.

By the time I reached 90 days, I was well into step nine, and my life had changed completely. No one was more surprised than me that I reached the 90 day mark, especially considering I did all that time without serious thought of a drink. I didn't think it would work, but it did and I never looked back.

My experience since has been joining the action with the steps and helping others are key to permanent recovery. The reason it becomes permanent is nothing to do with willpower or even personal power, it just feels good and is very rewarding to live that way. Not drinking is pretty much a by product.

So, no bad months, just a few painful lessons here and there.