View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 09:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
FireSprite

Originally Posted by SarahBear View Post
Good points you brought up. What do you mean mine codependene with him speaks the loudest? I bought the issues up because it’s not something I would put up with if we were married. Knowing that he freely gives to his friends when they rarely give back irriates me to the core. He’s a complete doormat giving in to other people’s needs before his own.

He knows how I feel about it. And then my boyfriend complains about his money troubles but allows his friends use him financially
Well - it's just one post in an online forum, so take it with a grain of salt... but I'm "hearing" more desire to control his actions than just plain irritation at his choices. Part of codependency can be that we let our emotions become ruled/largely affected by other people's life choices. Like sparkle mentioned, this is who he IS & it sounds like something you've brought to his attention repeatedly at this point. Has it changed anything except to increase your OWN irritation?

And yes- working in the field of financial services as an assistant for a certified financial planner, I can say that he definitely could benefit from a discussion with a professional but I can tell you that just like ANY other part of life where we choose denial - he won't hear what he's not ready to acknowledge. Money is emotional & I can't tell you how many dead-end conversations I've witnessed when people are resistant to change.

If you've approached the subject multiple times at some point you just have to accept it & stop beating a dead horse. We can't FORCE people to change no matter how "right" we think we are. JMHO