View Single Post
Old 11-27-2017, 02:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SarahBear

Codependency and the nonalcoholic

I didn’t see a co-dependency sub-forum so I decided to post here. Co-dependency doesn’t have to include drugs or alcohol.

My boyfriend meets some of the characteristics of being a “money codendent” He attracts friends that take advantage of him financially which is primarily the reason of being in deep debt. I’m not talking a few thousand dollars. Way more than that.

My boyfriend has this one friend who is the worst of the few that take advantage of him financially. This friend always complains about his money troubles and the ex-friends/ex-wives in his past who have stolen from him. This friend of his also has a shopping addiction and smokes which is why he has money troubles. And expects my boyfriend to bail him out buying food or my boyfriend will feel sorry for him and split half of whatever he has, usually snacks/junk food. Even when we are eating out, my boyfriend always pays his tab knowing he can’t afford it with the debt he has.

My boyfriend’s dad is his chief enabler helping him out financially because my boyfriend doesn’t know how to say no to his friends that are taking advantage of his kindness.

I finally blew up and spoke my mind to my boyfriend and his friend. I’m tired of listening to my boyfriend talk how he wants to reduce his debt and even attending financial workshops on how to budget money but continues to spend frivolously on small gifts for his friends and me and paying for other people’s tab at the restaurant. And I’m tired of him allowing his friends to use their pity to financially take advantage