View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 12:28 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Aspieman

Hello

Hi, it's a shame this thread is not more active. I recently found Refuge Recovery and it really appeals to me and the logical way I think. I went to NA years ago but it just wasn't for me. I managed to quit heroin due to my own efforts and stayed drug free for a few years. I drank occasionally but I never really liked it and I only did it in an attempt to be sociable, which never went well. The last few years I've drifted back into cocaine use mixed with alcohol and quite simply while I've had enough of it, I'm struggling with the cravings and random 'go use' thoughts popping up. I'm wondering if learning to meditate might help with that? My plan is to remain totally sober and find recovery, I think it's the best, and only option for me.

I'm currently reading 'Refuge Recovery' which is great, and I have downloaded the podcasts which I'm working my way through. If anyone has any other suggestions or advice I would be grateful for it.

I have an Aspergers diagnosis so I'm not good face to face with people. Meetings would be difficult and I would really struggle with them, but there aren't any Refuge meetings within 100 miles of where I live anyway. I would be prepared to take a risk and push myself to go to a 'mindfulness' meeting no matter how uncomfortable that would be for me, if people thought that would help. Would it?

I'll leave it there for now and say thank you in advance to anyone who has the time to reply.