Old 11-21-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Stevie1979

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
I guess my question is...is it ok to do this "my" way for a bit until I feel comfortable enough to attend? I do feel like if I got to the point where I was on the verge of drinking I would just deal with the anxiety and get myself to a meeting...but so far that hasn't happened.

i think ti would be wise to honestly check your motives.
however, something i notice:
ya say ya want it to do it your way until you feel comfortable enough to go to a meeting, but if you get to the verge of drinking, you would get the courage to not allow the anxiety(fear) to control your actions and get to a meeting.

why not get the courage now?
meetings are great and are for the ones early in recovery- where those who have recovered carry the message to alcoholics.
but going to meetings and not drinking dont treat alcoholism.
Thanks so much for your reply. Honestly, I feel like my motive right now is to just get through each day...just survive it without the booze. And I'm doing that. The anxiety I could certainly do without but I know I'm going to have to really learn to deal with it. I think it's just so early on and taking me out of my own comfort zone just scares the hell out of me at times. My husband has sat with me on nights when I was planning on going to meetings and I've full on gone into panic. I've also been getting (the past three days) the migraines that I usually only get during certain times of the month. Probably the heightened anxiety/stress but they are debilitating and scary (especially because I don't want to take ANY prescription medication right now this early on in my recovery with alcohol).

This all probably sounds like a load of excuses. I know. But it's what is happening with me. And it frustrates me so much because I felt so good in my first meeting. I shared. I talked to people. I came home and cried happy tears because I couldn't wait to go back and be amongst people who understood how I felt. And since then I feel this crippling feeling right before I'm about to walk out the door. It's ridiculous.