Old 11-19-2017, 04:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
applewakesup

I spent many years continuing to drink because I didn't feel that the term alcoholic applied to me (still don't btw), but alcohol was definitely causing problems in my life. I went back and forth so much because most of the time, I drank reasonably. I was not physically dependent on alcohol. However, occasionally, I would drink way too much and I had a few embarrassing incidents as well as increasing hangovers with age.

So why did I continue to drink? It seemed necessary in some way. I felt I needed to have tried every other possible option before I gave it up. It was a ridiculous notion. I was clearly having problems with it because I thought about it a lot and I would often consider what I was doing on a Friday night before I would agree to Saturday morning plans. Feeling sick on the weekends voluntarily on a regular basis is a problem.

I decided that I don't want that anymore. I also don't want to worry that this will be the night I have to many and feel terribly ashamed tomorrow.

So I don't drink anymore. I have been sober since June 5, and I feel great. It wasn't easy and I sought out a lot of support. A couple of things I recommend for you: You already know about SR. It's a great place! The Naked Mind, by Annie Grace is a great book to change your attitude about drinking. For me, the Since Right Now podcast was a game changer! They are three guys in long-term sobriety, two through AA and one on his own. They show that there are different approaches to sobriety that work for different people. Mostly they are hilarious and irreverent. In the earliest days, I binged on every episode (they have over 4 years of episodes!) and it helped me so much.

Good for you for recognizing that alcohol is no longer (if it ever was) serving you. If you want to stop you can and there is so much freedom in knowing that you never have to drink and suffer the consequences of that drinking again.