Old 11-18-2017, 04:57 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
biminiblue

You guys keep talking about cat pics...the only one I've seen in this thread is DJRay.

...and I like him.

Wow, what a beautiful day here! There is snow on the mountains and on the volcanoes. I saw two volcanoes at once, it was so clear. Yellow/gold/orange/red trees everywhere. It just doesn't get any better.

Until you walk to the beach and see three huge salmon leaving their ocean home, and beginning their trip upstream right at the mouth of the creek. Their last trip - traveling from salt to fresh water - fighting gravity and rushing water all the way. Pushing their solid muscle 16 pound bodies through two inches of water, wild Chum salmon. Millions of years of evolution and yet returning to the creek beds where they were born - to spawn and die. So epic, I took videos of them and pictures and stood there with a fly fisherman just with our jaws open. I talked to the ranger and he said he had spotted a redd (a female on a nest) upstream and he figures these were males going up to try to spread their genetics. Really amazing.