View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 09:57 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
LBrain

Those who have been indoctrinated into the recovery concept in one way or another are bound to reflect on their existence with regard to how drinking has played a role in every aspect of their lives. And feel it may continue to affect them forever, or a period of time.

What many can't comprehend is that people who never had a drinking problem, and people who have never had a drink, are faced with the same issues - issues being a broad term - that those with the drink problem face, or face long after they quit.

Yes, there are physiological changes - it does affect the brain - that will take time to heal, if the damage was not permanent. And during the course of this 'healing' time, some do experience what could be simplified as "brain farts". But they do lessen in frequency and severity. And it IS possible that these episodes would have occurred regardless of our drinking history. Let's not read too much into it. Stay the course and let time take care of the rest. Over the 35 years I spent as a drunk, I could easily blame the alcohol for everything. Who knows if alcohol actually had anything to do with how I acted all the time, I never had an alternate reference point to compare myself to myself.