View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 10:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dwtbd
quat

Nice to see you found your way to this corner
Take some time and read through some of the longer discussion threads and see if any of the ideas on desire resonate.
I put all desire 'on the Beast' , I have decided I will never drink again , everytime I have in the past it lead to abuse and addiction. Abstinence from intoxicants ensures I will never become addicted again. (not to mention I now fully realize I have not given anything up , getting and maintaining a high was never worth the mind, body and soul damage my AV constantly had me over look, 'feels' good or even great was/is never a rational justification for what IT does.)

Cravings lessened in intensity and frequency when I came to see how the urge , the want, the Beast may still be 'there' , or even come and go but ITs presence alone isn't a threat.
The 'feeling' of fighting back against the urge, the recognition of the want coupled with the simultaneous resolve to 'not give in' and use causes some cognitive dissonance and anxiety. But the mechanism that drives the dissonance is based on our misconception that the mere presence of the desire will result in a satisfaction of the desire unless superhuman applications of the power of will are brought to bear to ward the urge off.
Turn the tables , cut off the supply and motive power of the craving by simply recognizing it and dismissing it. The 'power of a craving' is proportional to the amount we assign is necessary to thwart IT. If you decide that 'no matter what', use is no longer an option , 'defeat' of the desire , frustrating ITs satisfaction is as simple as recognizing and dismissing IT.
ITs presence is no longer a threat, 'warding' off a non threat requires little 'willpower', yeah?