View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 04:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

as you might recall, this has been a big issue for me ever since getting sober. I'm almost 4 years sober, and heading into what will be my 5th sober winter. I live in the northern latitudes where from about September on, the days grow shorter, colder and more harsh. I do enjoy winter - but have found myself unable to enjoy the things I used to about it. I have struggled with motivation, with a sense of doom, with generalized sadness, with loss of libido, with overeating and a host of other challenges.

I've tried vitamin D, 5HTP, melatonin, vitamins, exercise, light therapy, counseling, meditation.... I've tried all of these in various combinations and none of it really made things any "better" - just got me through and sort of gave me something to focus on.

This year, I finally decided to try a seasonal anti-depressant. My doctor prescribed a low dose of Prozac and I've noticed an immediate improvement. I really felt conflicted about this for a long time. I didn't want to use medication. I worried about addiction issues. I struggled with the stigma.

I'm not here to advocate medication as 'the answer' - but I do feel compelled to share my experience. It's still early on, only a couple weeks now, so we shall see... but so far so good and I'm glad I finally did try it.