Thread: New guy
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 02:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Meraviglioso

Hello and welcome to you. I am sorry you are not feeling very happy right now. I think it is important to remember that such a major change in your life will take some time to adjust to. It is not easy to get and stay sober and we must find out footing and get comfortable in our new, sober skin. I really like the saying that a lot of people use, which I can't remember work for word but is more or less"if you walk 3 miles into the forest you have to walk 3 miles to get back out" You can't just stop drinking one day and all of the sudden things are miraculously perfect. Of course some thing improve almost immediately- no hangovers, your face starts to become clearer and brighter, digestive/bathroom issues clear up, no jail/fights/drunk driving/embarassing drunken behaviour. But other stuff, like finding emotional peace and happiness do take time. This is true at a physiological level- your actual brain needs time to clear out the residual alcohol and heal, but also, of course, psychologically.

Have you considered BB's suggestion on getting to an AA meeting to talk with other recovering alcoholics about this? Or if AA is not for you what about seeing a psychologist? Talking things out would be a good place to start, in addition a professional could even guide you to a psychiatrist for any medications that might help you if they/you thought that might be something you need.

Lastly, and importantly, we are always here to support you.