View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by charliesworld View Post
There must be a very small number of people who get it first time. Decide they are going to stop and then actually stop.

For me, I learn more about myself with each relapse and the subsequent soul searching that goes on after it. When I am not drinking I don't do that - I busy myself with life and then let my guard slip.
I think we may be dealing with a little confirmation bias here, charliesworld. It seems likely that those who come to the point that they decide they will quit, hell or high water, no matter how difficult that choice might prove to be, aren't those who make repeated cries for help on message boards due to recurring failures. In fact, we really have no idea what number of us who became dependent on alcohol actually accomplished that - it might be the majority after all. There is no way to know for sure unless you could be positive you asked everyone.

For me, it was getting busy with life that ensured my sobriety. It was the slow death of alcoholism that finally pushed me to demand more. And yes, I am one of those who quit drinking just the once.

For those who are still ambivalent about this, I know you can do this. You can make this decision to quit and never look back. Onward!