Thread: How we think
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 11:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

Originally Posted by Oregongirlsite View Post
I realized yesterday that I expect that I should think like a normal person. But an alcoholic brain just doesn’t. (duh). I’m not a youngster. (70) Once upon a time in my early forties I stopped drinking for about 25 years. I was just a non drinker but heaven’s, NOT an alcoholic. Otherwise why would I have stopped for all those years? Nuther lie...we went to Mexico on vacation about 7 years ago. I let myself drink those foofie drinks they serve around the pool..the ones with little umbrellas...came home and didn’t touch a drop for another year. So of course, I’m not an alcoholic. Huh. But after the last trip a few years back when we came home, I thought “I enjoy these foofie drinks. I can enjoy THEM.” In a social situation. Huh. I guess I had to witness the progression of my problem. So within a few years 2 to be exact I was worse than all those many years ago. So I kidded myself through my life. I bought a lie and lived in it. But now I have reality, truth, good health for my age, 6 years free of BC, many grandchildren, one great, and a problem. I’m an alcoholic. So there. And I will work at this problem till you haul me out on a gurney. Didn’t mean to make a short story long but when you’re as old as I am it happens. Love to all.
Oh and PS...my family would have had a problem if I said I had THE problem. Oh, Grammy, you were never an...huh. But I can work through that here too.
Thank you for sharing.

Almost 4 years sober, I need to remember that I'm always just one alcoholic line of 'rationale' away from crashing right back down into the deep dark pit of despair.

Thankfully, I have built for myself a life of grateful sobriety and it just keeps getting better. I never want to lose sight of that, and it's stories like yours that help remind me it's never too late to throw it all away if I let that old addicted brain drive the bus.